It's that time of year again! Our seriously good hot cross bun mix is back in store to take the hassle out of these tasty treats.
All you need is 800g of our mix plus your wet ingredients. Then after a bit of mixing, kneading and waiting, you’ll have 12-15 super delicious hot, crossed, buns!
- 3 x full, but flat small scoops of Gram's Hot Cross Bun Mix (800g)
- 2 x sachets yeast
- 300ml milk
- 40g butter
- 2 eggs
- Add 2 x 7g sachets of yeast to the dry mixture. Stir through.
- Melt butter (or alternative) on low heat in a saucepan, add milk (or alternative) and heat until lukewarm.
- Add eggs plus the milk and butter to dry mixture in a large bowl. Use a flat-bladed spatula to mix until dough comes together.
- On a floured surface, knead dough for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and set aside in a warm place for 60-90mins or until dough has doubled in size.
- On a floured surface, punch dough down to original size. Knead for 30 seconds until smooth. Divide dough into 12 equal parts and roll into balls. Place on a large tray lined with baking paper. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes or until buns double in size again.
- Bake at 170' C (fan forced) for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- To glaze, bring 2 tablespoons of caster sugar and 1/3 cup water to the boil for 3 minutes. Brush over warm buns.
- To cross, make a water and icing sugar mix. Pipe over buns.